Friday, September 26, 2014

My team experience

I realized that I can dance when I was in high school. From that point on, I have been dancing for almost six years. I never received any professional training, most of the stuff I learned was from the internet. After I got to college, it was the first time that I was drafted to a dance team. During that period of time, I finally how much I need to improve myself to be one of the team member and perform.
The structure of the team is a dual authority. Executive director would be the highest authority, then it splits down to two most important part in a dance team: assistant director and artistic director. Assistant director in charge of all the execution of orders that was given by the director and the liaison between the director and crew member. Artistic director is the one who in charge all the rehearsal, choreography and training the crew member to enhance fundamental skills. This structure is very effective because it is well covered in a dance team. Also, it is very easy to restructure to adapt to different situation. This structure helped to divide the burden to two sections: assistant director can enforce orders from the director, artistic director can share the load of choreographing and training crew member. All these is to keep the director from micromanaging. Because the team is not very big, so efficiency would not be effected gradually.
Dancers are easy. We do not dance for money, although it would be wonderful if we do. The reason that we dedicate time and other important aspect in dancing because we want to dance, we want to perform, we want to make the audience happy. Every semester, we have a big event that is either held in a club on campus or in Chicago. Every time we deliver a great performance in a rather short period of time. When preparing for a event like this, all team member would contribute to help. Music, one of the most important aspect that is in a dance, would be edited by some skilled team member. In order to be more efficient, people who are skilled would be call in for help to promote the showcase. Rest of the dancers would have to wait to training orders. This is fairly like Katzenbach's "high performance team are of a manageable size"and "high-performance team develop the right mix of expertise."   We do what we could do to help the team, but we do it in way that keeps everything structured. However, of all the aspect that was mentioned previously that could build a high-performance team, the essential key to the success is all the team member has the one true common goal, that is to bring the best performance to make the audience happy.

3 comments:

  1. This is interesting but you assume that I as a reader have more background than I actually do. Since you are an Econ student, I assume this is a dance club that you are talking about. Is that right? But note that the University also has a department of Dance in the College of Fine and Applied Arts. Are there any students from that college on your team? Any Faculty?

    I'm guessing that your group performs dance in a synchronized way, rather than each member doing something individually. If so, it would have been good for you to talk about that. How is synchronization achieved? What are rehearsals like? Etc.

    Also, even if there is group performance, is there individual practice? The issue of how to get ready for group function seems relevant here. It would have been good to address this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have considered more on the background case. Actually not many people in my dance club are major in dance. People like me who has never been trained in dancing are the majority ones in the club. The synchronization is achieved by practice day by day. Group function is different depends on different situation. I would address in a more detailed way in my next post

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete